Thursday, November 15, 2007

It's for the birds! Well, the dogs, really.

Let me preface this by saying that I love dogs. I have one, in fact. A yellow lab...his name is Dexter. My hubby surprised me with him when I came home from a trip to visit my sister in Paris...really it was a present for him, a new hunting pup....but when he was a pup he was mine! :) Oh - and also - I love my neighborhood....it rocks and is a great place for my kids to grow up.

On to my point. When did having a safe, fun place for dogs become higher on the list than having a safe, fun place for kids?

Some dog lovers in the neighborhood came up with the idea to build a dog park. A safe place for dogs to roam free and also interact with other dogs.They raised the money on their own, and the board approved for them to built on an unused lot at the campground area. Good for them. I think improvements in the neighborhood are great. I do wonder, though, how many people are actually using it? Are just the 'little dogs' going there? I wonder this because every day I see dogs running wild through the neighborhood. The dogs of the owners who think it is acceptable to let them run free, 'cuz they always come back'.

SIDENOTE: I have a sore spot for these people, seeing as how my middle child is terrified of ALL dogs, thanks to a black lab who came barrelling at us on a walk one sunny afternoon....he just wanted to give us love, but she is 2. A giant black monster running at her full speed with his tongue out is like a scene from a horror movie. Oh - and there was also the time that the neighbors up the street let their smallish dog out without a leash. My youngest was in a carrier, my middle child freaked, so I had to pick her up too and my oldest, poor thing, was lovingly-ish mauled by this little dog....I took pictures of the scratches that COVERED her torso.

So we have this dog park for the dogs. What do we have for the kids in this neighborhood? Well there are two play areas. One has a really high, scary metal slide that I hate to let my kids play on, a couple of swings and a playset that has a kinda fun slide, but is too hard for little ones to play on. There aren't really any stairs - just slats of wood to be used to climb up. The other play area has another really high, scary metal slide that is even scarier than the first one. A couple of swings and 3 teeter-totters....the old style wooden ones that give you splinters in your thighs. Not so great. Supposedly the money we make from the 5K race held every October is to go towards the play area, but in the last couple years, the only changes I have seen is a really ugly paint job on the stairless playset.

Since it seems like no one else is doing anything about it, I have come up with my own plan....and hope to get more info and take it to the board. We have a fenced in tennis court area that is NEVER used. It just sits there looking like most tennis courts look - bored. My idea is to tear out the concrete, get a killer playset, safe for ALL ages, a bunch of swings, dump the regulatory amount of tire mulch in and voila - fun place for kids to play! I am sure it will cost a fortune, but if people are willing to shell out thousands of dollars for a dog park (!), they should be willing to shell it out for the kids. Oh - and the best part of the area - it's fenced in!!! As a mom - I love this. There is only way for the kids to escape!!!

To add to my irritation, the dog-lovers (cleverly named D.O.G for dog owners group) has secured the Lodge for a Saturday in December for Santa Claus to come....to get their dogs pictures taken with him. No lie. I will never understand why anyone would want to get their dogs picture taken with Santa Claus. I will keep the rest of my comments regarding this to myself. :) Again, they are free to do as they choose and I can (and do) choose to not be involved.

Once again, though, no one is doing anything for the kids. We have a social committee that does some events throughout the year, but nothing at Christmas time. Apparently they used to and no one knows why it was stopped.

Since I am not one to bitch and moan and not do anything about it, I contacted a friend of mine who happens to work for the Association. She and I requested permission to have a kids holiday party and it was granted. So now I have another job on my plate. Just what I need! Eek. By the way, this all happened in a matter of about 36 hours. I emailed her about the dog/santa thing, she replied, she emailed the Secretary and President of the board and all of a sudden....we are hired. At least she is helping me!

I am happy to do this - it will be fun. I enjoy doing things within the community. My only concern is that it is the middle of November, which means not much time! I am sure it will all work out. Things always do. I know the kids will love it, so that makes it worth it.

Update - no Christmas Party happened - we couldn't get approval from the board in time. Maybe next year! :)

1 comment:

Bakersfunnyfarm said...

OK, going to go take down my picture of the Westie in Santa's lap. Keep in mind she was a puppy and it was before the baby came along :-) Seriously, I can totally no blame you for feeling like you do. At least you're trying to do something about it though. GO YOU!!