Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of School! First Day of School!

My two big girls started school today. Well, just preschool, and just for 2.5 hours a day, but still!

It was a big day.

Big Girl has been beside herself with excitement for a month..since the day she found out she was going to go to school. Today she woke up ready to go and kept asking if we could eat lunch so we could leave for school (they have PM school). :) Next Biggest Girl was excited as well, though I did sense some uncertaintly. She was brave and didn't cry....at least until she realized I was no longer just outside the room. Big Girl said she helped her feel better though, and so did their new teacher.

I was sad to leave them...they have been at home with me since the day they were each born. It was a little hard for me today, partly because they are my babies and I left them in a room with a bunch of strangers; partly because they are going to learn so many new things and I don't get to see it; partly because I want to see how they act and behave when they aren't under mom's watchful eye. ;)

Little Girl and I came home after spying on the bigger girls for about 15 minutes. Little Girl went down for her nap and I actually got some things done around the house. It was so quiet!

Finally it was time to pick them up! I was so excited! We got there and the kids were outside playing...my girls saw me and ran to me! It was so fun to see them. They were rosy-cheeked and sweaty from playing outside and right away started telling me all about the fun they had!

We got home and they were so tired they both complained about having to climb the stairs...Next Biggest Girl actually collapsed halfway up, in her very dramatic way. I got their pillows and they laid on the couches and watched a show, had a LOT of water and some crackers and rested up. It didn't take long for their energy to return.....and shortly they were back to causing all kids of trouble!

I am glad to have made it through the first day of school and I look forward to seeing all the fun new things the girls learn this year. I still can't believe they are old enough to be in school.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

It is hard to leave them but so good at the same time. Just the beginning of growing up! You hate it and love it at the same time. Sort of like how I love my kids' birthdays, but it makes me sad at the same time!

Sara said...

How exciting to see you girls growing up. You must be doing something right because it sounds like your girls are great